PAGE UPDATED DAILY
Scroll down for the latest news, concerts, venues, reviews and tickets
Very fine photo gallery from Marty Sohl (copyright) -Met Opera/Barber
This poster, from Garanca’s facebook, mentions St Petersburg and Olomouc as well as the dates already listed below but I can find no details yet.
*26 June Olomouc, Czech Republic* – Concert details here and here
*29 June Vilnius, Lithuania* – Concert, no details yet
*14 July, Paris – Concert, no details yet*
Other dates at the bottom of the page
Production photos (Bettina Stöß 2008 ) for Der Rosenkavalier, Berlin in December.
Also trailer ( different cast )
Garanča: Berlioz’s La mort de Cleopatre with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
November in Amsterdam 12/13/14th, Brussels 16th, Luzerne 17th and Vienna 18th
Online ticket sales in the Netherlands start in June.
DETAILS and tickets for Brussels, Luzerne and Vienna
The Munich I Capuleti is confirmed on Garanča’s facebook page
Garanča to sing Octavian in Der Rosenkavalier Deutsche Oper Berlin December 2014
Photocredit: Pauty via oe24
An interesting conversation over at Parterre Box
Garanca has pulled out of the Vienna Rosenkavaliers - replaced by Sophie Koch.
MIX & MATCH
* 2 Carmens and 3 Don Josés at The Met 2014/15 – details *
IT’S A GIRL!
From Norman Lebrecht’s pages …
“Karel Mark Chichon and Elina Garanca are delighted to announce the birth of our daughter. Cristina Sophie Chichon, a sister for Catherine Louise. Cristina was born on 10 January 2014 and both mother and little Cristina are doing very well. Our family is now complete and we embrace the future full of joy and new experiences.”
This wording was posted on Elina’s official website
photocredit: Agnes Swan
Garanca scheduled for new Carsen Rosenkavalier
2016/17 at The Met with Renee Fleming
Brief appearance on BR klassik video
Longer version of video on YouTube
Fancy a September cruise with Garanca and Piotr Beczala?
Next year Garanca will joined by the Vienna Boys Choir at the Göttweig concert
image from book
New YouTube video (sung in English!)
Full video interview on Klassik TV
image via juwelier-wagner-at
Another video + an archive of past interviews
Garanca needs your vote!!
2 interviews on oe1ORF radio (on demand): yes – they are in German!
A lovely set of photos from the event
An article in Heute.at. and another
Garanca’s performance at the awards on YouTube
Echo Klassik awards – an interview on YouTube
screenshot from Klassik video
Photocredit: Felix Broede
photocredit: Paul Schirnhofer/Karina Schwarz/DG
interview ( in German ) “Pregnancy and true happiness in life”
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CHICHONS
An interview which Garanca gave after the birth of her first baby in October 2011
* LATEST VIDEOS *
I have removed this section of the page and will post anything new at the top
THIS IS HOW THIS PAGE BEGAN IN NOVEMBER 2011
Since September 30th 2011, when I posted this little video competition for opera fans to test out their skill, a strange thing has been happening on my blog. Usually when you post something of interest there is an initial flurry of visitors and then things go quiet. Occasionally you will then get someone returning for another look plus the traveller who has Googled a phrase and ended up, sometimes by mistake, clicking on your blog post. But hundreds of people landing on a video quiz and not playing the video had me really puzzled. The phrase which kept occuring in searches was Garanča+baby ( or similar words ) So what on earth has a quiz about mezzo soprano voices singing fron Der Rosenkavalier to do with Garanča’s baby? Well, I looked carefully again and in the comments was included “Elina Garanča (Congratulations for the baby girl born yesterday)” from a well informed reader from France. So it appears that there is so little information about Elina Garanča and her baby out there that poor Google searchers are ending up with a tiny snippet which does not assist their search. So. This is what I have managed to find about the subject ( not that much! ) and I hope the Garanča fans will be a little happier …
In May, 2011, it was announced that Elina Garanča and her husband, conductor Karel Mark Chichon, were to have their first baby. The child, a daughter, was born on September 30th in southern Spain which for some time has been the adopted home of the native Latvian. The name chosen for the baby was Catherine Louise. “I’ve always been reticent about my family,” the celebrated mezzo-soprano revealed to the newspaper AUSTRIA. “And now I’m even more so.” This would explain why there are apparently no photographs of the family being made public. Garanča is reportedly taking several month’s break but details of her return to performance have been released.
This information is provisional. In Garanca’s own words …
“Because the financial situation of the world is still very unstable. Many theatre productions are modified and transferred because there is a lack of funding”
2014 AFTER MATERNITY BREAK
- 6 May 2014 – Amsterdam Concertgebouw Great Hall. Songs by Schumann, Richard Strauss, etc. Tickets and info
- 8 May 2014 - Auditorio of Oviedo, Spain. Concert with Oviedo Filarmonica, conducted by Karl Mark Chichon Details
- 11 May 2014 at 20.00 Recital in Berlin link
- June 8 Rossini Stabat Mater at the Salzburg Whitsun Festival. Details
- June 11/13/15/18 - I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Romeo) at Bayerische Staatsoper information
- July 2 Klassik unter Strernun – Göttweig Tickets
- July 5 “Classics in the Alps” at Kitzbühel Tickets now on sale
- 12 July Open-air Gala Concert in Dusseldorf. Programme tba
- 22 August Salzburg Festival. Donizetti La Favorite with Flórez/ Colombara/Tézier information
- 26 August. Salzburg Festival. Donizetti La Favorite - information
- 15 October – Concert - Vienna, Garanca/Chichon
- 21 October The Barbican, London information
- 12/13/14 November Het Concertgebouw, Amsterdam with Concertgebouw Orchestra, Robin Ticciati conductor Details
- 18 November – Concert - Vienna 18 November
- 5 January 2015 at 19.00. Opernhaus Zurich. Recital with Malcolm Martineau, piano.
- 8 January Recital with Roger Vignoles - Musikverein, Graz
- February/March? Met Opera - Carmen February/March
- April 6/9/12 Der Rosenkavalier at the Weiner Staatsoper DETAILS
- 15 April Liederabend with Malcolm Martineau DETAILS
Garanča official site
Once again the comments and conversation section has become too difficult to navigate so I have removed everything apart from the last 6 months