PAGE UPDATED DAILY
Scroll down for the latest news, concerts, venues, reviews and tickets
Arte TV Saturday 21 December at 17.00 CET
“Opera Stories” La Clemenza di Tito” (Vienna)
Probably no news or photos for a while so I will run a series of familiar ones.
Ideas or contributions gratefully received!
Full video interview on Klassik TV
Garanca needs your vote!!
- Radio programme & Podcast
- Book review with photos Article in br.de
- A critical review of Garanča’s book which some will disagree with
- More photos from keinezeitung.at
- The Kurier interview translated into English
- Radio interview from 17 November
- Saarbrücken concert still on radio
- An account of recent happenings in Hungarian!
- An article, with photos, for radio Salzburg
- Appearance on a talk show on 14 November
- Really clear audio from BR Klassik - brush up your German!
- Interview on YouTube Photos from Salzburg.com
- Video interview + photos TV news item
2 interviews on oe1ORF radio (on demand): yes – they are in German!
A lovely set of photos from the event
Garanča/Dudamel New Year 2010 concert now in full on YouTube
Chichon/Garanca concert from 2012 … Listen on demand - still available
Video from Wiener Staatsoper: Portrait Elīna Garanča
Garanca and others from the Echo Klassik awards sign a board
to be auctioned on eBay for a children’s charity
It looks as though the recital at The Barbican, London is now 21 October 2014
This replaces the one in April 2014
Garanca’s performance at the awards on YouTube
Echo Klassik awards – an interview on YouTube
Hardcover: 200 pages. Published November 10, 2013
Oops. Someone hasn’t noticed the cast change!
”The Best of Elīna Garanča”
Elīna Garanča’s personal choice of her greatest tracks, released to coincide with her receiving an Echo Award (6 October) & the publication of her memoirs in December. You can now sing along with Elina on her new album! Download the lyrics
Salzburg Festival 2013 -Verdi- Messa da Requiem
Salzburg Verdi Requiem review
interview ( in German ) ”Pregnancy and true happiness in life”
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CHICHONS
An interview which Garanca gave after the birth of her first baby in October 2011
The TV interview programme turned up – including The Jacket!
Anja Harteros, Elina Garanca, Jonas Kaufmann, Rene Pape,
Orchestra e coro del Teatro alla Scala, Milan / Daniel Barenboim.
* LATEST VIDEOS *
I have removed this section of the page and will post anything new at the top
THIS IS HOW THIS PAGE BEGAN IN NOVEMBER 2011
Since September 30th 2011, when I posted this little video competition for opera fans to test out their skill, a strange thing has been happening on my blog. Usually when you post something of interest there is an initial flurry of visitors and then things go quiet. Occasionally you will then get someone returning for another look plus the traveller who has Googled a phrase and ended up, sometimes by mistake, clicking on your blog post. But hundreds of people landing on a video quiz and not playing the video had me really puzzled. The phrase which kept occuring in searches was Garanča+baby ( or similar words ) So what on earth has a quiz about mezzo soprano voices singing fron Der Rosenkavalier to do with Garanča’s baby? Well, I looked carefully again and in the comments was included “Elina Garanča (Congratulations for the baby girl born yesterday)” from a well informed reader from France. So it appears that there is so little information about Elina Garanča and her baby out there that poor Google searchers are ending up with a tiny snippet which does not assist their search. So. This is what I have managed to find about the subject ( not that much! ) and I hope the Garanča fans will be a little happier …
In May, 2011, it was announced that Elina Garanča and her husband, conductor Karel Mark Chichon, were to have their first baby. The child, a daughter, was born on September 30th in southern Spain which for some time has been the adopted home of the native Latvian. The name chosen for the baby was Catherine Louise. “I’ve always been reticent about my family,” the celebrated mezzo-soprano revealed to the newspaper AUSTRIA. ”And now I’m even more so.” This would explain why there are apparently no photographs of the family being made public. Garanča is reportedly taking several month’s break but details of her return to performance have been released.
This information is provisional. In Garanca’s own words …
“Because the financial situation of the world is still very unstable. Many theatre productions are modified and transferred because there is a lack of funding”
2014 AFTER MATERNITY BREAK
- 9 April 2014 -The Barbican, London information NB. * This link is now showing as 21 OCTOBER 2014. Presumably this is to replace the recital from April. Too soon after baby born? *
- 23/27/30 April – Weiner Staatsoper. Octavian in Der Rosenkavalier. Details and tickets
- May 2 2014 - Concert at the Opera Royal de Wallonie, Liège, Belgium Information and tickets
- 6 May 2014 – Amsterdam Concertgebouw Great Hall. Songs by Schumann, Richard Strauss, etc. link
- 8 May 2014 - Auditorio of Oviedo, Spain. Concert with Oviedo Filarmonica, conducted by Karl Mark Chichon Details
- 11 May 2014 at 20.00 Recital in Berlin link
- May 23/26/29 + June 1 - Berlioz Damnation of Faust ( Marguerite ) Deutsche Oper Berlin. Details
- June 8 Rossini Stabat Mater at the Salzburg Whitsun Festival. Details
- June 11/13/15/18 - I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Romeo) at Bayerische Staatsoper information
- July 2 Klassik unter Strernun – Göttweig Tickets
- July 5 “Classics in the Alps” at Kitzbühel Tickets now on sale
- 12 July Open-air Gala Concert in Dusseldorf. Programme tba
- 22 August Salzburg Festival. Donizetti La Favorite with Flórez/ Colombara/Tézier
- 24 August. Salzburg Festival. Liederabend. Information
- 26 August. Salzburg Festival. Donizetti La Favorite - information
Garanča official site
It is rumoured that Garanča will reprise Carmen at The Met with Alagna
Once again the comments and conversation section has become too difficult to navigate so I have removed everything apart from the last 6 months