MUSIC FROM THE TRAILER OF FROZEN PLANET
Two Steps from Hell - Heart of Courage
watch the video below to see my thoughts on what makes this music EPIC!
- The composers of this music are Nick Phoenix and Thomas Bergersen who, as Two Steps from Hell, compose music specifically for video and film trailers.
- Here is their Wiki entry.
- They have a Facebook fan page.
- The album ” Invcincible” can be downloaded at iTunes - this includes the track Heart of Courage.
- ” Illusions” and ”Archgangel” are also now available with other albums due soon.
- Update page on Trailer Music News.
- Their music can be sampled at Extreme Music
- Here is their web site
Nick Phoenix Thomas Bergersen
So what is it about this particular piece of music which has prompted so many people from all around the world to seek information about it? Many people, including myself, heard it for the first time in the trailer for “Frozen Planet”, the remarkable David Attenborough series running at the moment on BBC television. I wrote about it here.
Undoubtedly it fires the imagination and stirs the emotions of many types of listener. This particular track, Heart of Courage has been used for other film trailers such as The Chronicles of Narnia and several TV shows as well as the DVD of Avatar, so it is possible that it is vaguely familiar. But there is definitely something about the sound and the form of the composition which makes the most commonly used adjective EPIC. It has inspired many to attempt cover versions on various instruments ( look on YouTube but be prepared to be dismayed in some instances ) and it certainly moved hundreds of people to search on the internet.
It is really tempting to analyse this music to see what strategies can be used to compose epic music. Here are my thoughts.
Heart of Courage by Two Steps from Hell
But, let’s face it, you can analyse and dissect all you like but the fact remains that this music appeals, inspires, uplifts, stirs and, when combined with fantastic film footage, is unforgettable.
Pretty remarkable for 1.57 of music.